Probleme beim Einloggen
Sumit Dutta Knowledge Management: Buzzwords Wrapped In A Cliché?
I recently asked a friend what he thought was meant by "knowledge management". The reply I got was: "Sounds like a fancy title for something a bit less fancy. Like when customer services became client liaison".
Unfortunately, to the cynical 21st century ear, knowledge management does sound like the product of a marriage twixt boss-speak and buzzword, which hardly gives it the credence that it merits in the contemporary business sphere.
Given the worldwide scope of the oil and gas sector, the volume and complexity of the data coming out of it, and its exposure to what could potentially be the most crippling skills shortage in global industry, knowledge management could not be more crucial. But what exactly does it mean?
Knowledge /n./ from Middle English cnawlece
In a nutshell - that nut obviously having fallen from the Tree of Knowledge - knowledge is information or data put into context, which effectively counts as an individual company's entire portfolio of operational know-how and intellectual capital.
Management /n./ from Italian maneggiare "to handle"
In this case we can simply go with the Oxford English Dictionary's definition of: "the process of dealing with or controlling things or people". In a commercial context, the "things" in question will be the business-critical processes, tools, software and hardware that facilitate smooth operational running.
So with a definition ascribed to the phrase, why is knowledge management so vital for oil and gas?
Continuity of Knowledge and Corporate Amnesia
No, not the title of the latest Bond film and a the follow up to Wall Street 2, but a situation that would be equally nightmarish to those in both the intelligence or stock-broking fraternities.
Mergers and acquisitions, third-party outsourcing and employee turnover are all potential enemies of knowledge retention in an ageing industry. Those in the...
Ron Villejo
Knowledge management is definitely not just a buzzword. With the explosion of data now at our disposal, it becomes more of an imperative that companies figure out ways to glean knowledge from "Big Data" and to action that knowledge effectively. I've always seen the oil and gas sector as the vanguards of technology innovations, such as "fracking." But this is just one example of the need to capture, access, and utilize emerging knowledge. It's so pivotal that analysts are predicting a shift in oil production leadership from the Middle East to North America within this decade.
Sumit Dutta Would You Have a Problem with Gas Made from Human Waste?
By Jessica Livingston
August 16, 2010 – 6:07 am
Here’s some good news that stinks. Literally.
According to an article on BBC, companies might start using human waste as gas.
The article claims that by 2020, 15 percent of energy the UK produces has to be renewable. So they are looking to derive power from “sewage waste.”
This apparently isn’t a new process either. Records have been found from the Assyrians in the 10th Century and the Persians in the 16th Century, which show that human waste was used as a way to heat bath water. (Although I’d really rather not want to know what kind of paper it was written on.)
Sounds pretty good, right? So what’s blocking up this process?
It’s expensive! It costs a lot to clean up this gas to make it useable for energy.
And what’s the number two reason this hasn’t hit the fan?
Our own prejudices.
People are worried about the smell (although it would be cleaned up). And beyond that, people think it’s a little gross using human waste for energy.
But I say, why not? After all, sh** happens.
What do you think about using human waste as an energy source?
Sumit Dutta Kevin Costner to Clean Up Oil Spill. Really.
BP is looking to actor Kevin Costner to help clean up the oil from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
I was going to make a Waterworld joke. Or make some snarky comment, like, “If he cleans it, the fish will come.”
Yup. This guy.
Yup. This guy.
But no. I can’t do that. And do you know why? Because Kevin Costner might actually be able to clean up the oil spill.
According to an article on, Kevin Costner and his scientist brother have developed a machine that uses a “centrifuge mechanism to separate oil from water and recycle the crude at the same time.” And it appears to be working.
Apparently, Costner and his brother created this machine in the ’90s. The machine allows barges to collect more oil than water, which was the problem with the skimmers that BP has been using. BP has already ordered 32 of these machines to assist in the clean up.
There’s no plug for a (baseball-related, I’d assume) movie. There’s no book coming out that needs publicity. No new restaurant or cologne or run for Congress. Kevin Costner isn’t exploiting the oil spill to advance his career or his celebrity. He’s genuinely trying to help BP clean up the biggest oil spill in US history.
An actor doing good without something to plug? A viable option for cleaning up the spill?
I don’t know which is more refreshing.
Larisa Varenikova Lessons on Life -:)
Lessons on Life
A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, about 2 inches in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was.
So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.
The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He then asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes".
The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and proceeded to pour their entire contents into the jar - effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.
"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else. The small stuff.
"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. Make lace [my addition]. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the tap. Take care of the rocks first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."
Dimitry Lapushkin Simon Harding
+2 weitere Kommentare
Letzter Kommentar:
Larisa Varenikova
Two pints of Guinness and everyone thinks they're talented. -:)))
Just for fun, here are twenty famous lines concerning the great beverage that is beer.
Twenty Great Beer Quotes
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. They wake up in the morning and that’s the best they’re going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra
“The other day I was so desperate for a beer, I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers.” - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
“God, I’d give anything for a drink. I’d give my god-damned soul for just a glass of beer.” - Jack Torrance, The Shining
“Sir, you are drunk!” and ”Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.” - Bessie Braddock and Winston Churchill
“Fill it up again! Fill it up again! Once it hits your lips, it’s so good!” - Frank the Tank, Old School
“Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.” - Dave Barry
“If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose.” - Jack Handy, Saturday Night Live
“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” - Friar Tuck, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
“I drink to make other people interesting.” - George Jean Nathan
“All right, brain, I don’t like you and you don’t like me - so let’s just do this and I’ll get back to killing you with beer.” - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
The best way to die is sit under a tree, eat lots of bologna and salami, drink a case of beer, then blow up.” - Art Donovan a.k.a. Fatso (Baltimore Colts)
“Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer.” - Al Bundy, Married with Children
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
“Bring a pitcher of beer every seven minutes until somebody passes out and then bring one every 10 minutes . . .” - Thornton Mellon, Back to School
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.” - Jack Handy, Saturday Night Live
“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” - Dave Berry
“A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn’t even the courtesy to thank her.” - W.C. Fields
“My brother and I used to say that drownin’ in beer was like heaven, eh?” - Bob MacKenzie, Strange Brew
“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.” - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
Larisa Varenikova A horse, a chicken and a Harley.
On the farm lived a chicken and a horse, both of whom loved to play together. One day the two were playing, when the horse fell into a bog and began to sink.
Scared for his life, the horse whinnied for the chicken to go get the farmer for help!
Off the chicken ran, back to the farm. Arriving at the farm, he searched and searched for the farmer, but to no avail, for he had gone to town with the only tractor.
Running around, the chicken spied the farmer's new Harley. Finding the keys in the ignition, the chicken sped off with a length of rope hoping he still had time to save his friend's life.
Back at the bog, the horse was surprised, but happy, to see the chicken arrive on the shiny Harley, and he managed to get a hold of the loop of rope the chicken tossed to him. After tying the other end to the rear bumper of the farmer's bike, the chicken then drove slowly forward and, with the aid of the powerful bike, rescued the horse!
Happy and proud, the chicken rode the Harley back to the farmhouse, and the farmer was none the wiser when he returned.
The friendship between the two animals was cemented: Best Buddies, Best Pals.
A few weeks later, the chicken fell into a mud pit, and soon, he too, began to sink and cried out to the horse to save his life!
The horse thought a moment, walked over, and straddled the large puddle. Looking underneath, he told the chicken to grab his hangy-down thing and he would then lift him out of the pit.
The chicken got a good grip, and the horse pulled him up and out, saving his life.
The moral of the story? (yep, you betcha, there IS a moral)
"When You're Hung Like A Horse, You Don't Need A Harley To Pick Up Chicks"
Irene Donner
Brilliant story!!!
Good site with jokes is here:
And from me:
Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing who's to blame for a missed deadline or a failed project.
Chainsaw Consultant: An outside expert brought in to reduce the employee headcount, leaving the top brass with clean hands.
Cube Farm: An office filled with cubicles.
Prairie Dogging: When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm, and heads pop up over the walls to see what's going on.
Ego Surfing: Googling one's own name.
Keyboard Plaque: The disgusting buildup of dirt and crud found on computer keyboards.
Ohno Second: That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you've just made a huge mistake.
SITCOMs: Single Income, Two Kids, Oppressive Mortgage.
Stress Puppy: A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.
Treeware: Printed documentation or paperwork.
Xerox Subsidy: Free photocopies from one's workplace.

Infos zu den Moderatoren

Über die Gruppe "Think Oil !"

• Gegründet: 02.10.2008
  • Mitglieder: 650
  • Sichtbarkeit: offen
  • Kommentare: 36